Rotala sp. Big Bear
Common Name: Rotala Sp. Big Bear
Plant Use: Background
Difficulty Level: Medium
Light Demand: Medium
Co2 Demand: Medium
Fertilizer Demand: Medium
View Our Policies
Payments Processed Through RazorPay
Frequently Asked Questions
What Our Customers Say
Description: Rotala sp. 'Big Bear' is a distinctive and vibrant aquatic plant that adds a bold touch to freshwater aquariums. Known for its eye-catching reddish-pink hues and unique leaf structure, 'Big Bear' stands out as an attractive and attention-grabbing element in aquascapes. This plant's striking appearance makes it a popular choice among aquarium enthusiasts looking to create visually captivating underwater landscapes.
- Scientific Name: Rotala sp. 'Big Bear'
- Family: Lythraceae
- Origin: Cultivated variant, likely from Southeast Asia
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Lighting Requirements: Medium to High
- CO2 Requirement: Medium to High
- Temperature Range: 68-82°F (20-28°C)
- pH Range: 6.0-7.5
- Propagation: Cuttings
1. Lighting: 'Big Bear' thrives in aquariums with medium to high lighting conditions. Providing adequate light ensures the plant exhibits its full spectrum of colors and promotes healthy growth.
2. CO2 and Nutrients: To unlock its vibrant coloration and support robust growth, 'Big Bear' benefits from medium to high CO2 levels and nutrient-rich water. Regular fertilization and a well-balanced substrate contribute to its overall health.
3. Water Parameters: Maintain a temperature range of 68-82°F (20-28°C) and a slightly acidic to neutral pH between 6.0-7.5. Adequate water circulation helps distribute nutrients and encourages optimal growth.
4. Planting: Plant cuttings in the substrate, ensuring they are securely anchored. Due to its vivid coloration, 'Big Bear' is often used as a focal point or background plant, enhancing the overall aesthetics of the aquarium.
5. Pruning: Periodic pruning helps control the plant's height and encourages lateral branching, resulting in a bushier appearance. Trim the tops to maintain the desired shape and prevent excessive vertical growth.
6. Propagation: 'Big Bear' can be propagated through stem cuttings. Trim healthy stems and replant them in the substrate, allowing for proper anchoring and subsequent growth.
7. Aquascape Compatibility: With its bold coloration, 'Big Bear' complements both nature-inspired and artistic aquascaping styles. Its distinctive appearance makes it an excellent choice for adding contrast and visual interest to the aquarium.
8. Substrate and Planting Depth: Plant cuttings in a nutrient-rich substrate that provides essential minerals. Ensure the substrate supports anchoring to promote stable growth and development.
Rotala sp. 'Big Bear' brings a bold and captivating presence to aquariums, making it a favorite among aquarists seeking to create dynamic and visually appealing underwater landscapes. Its unique coloration and elegant growth pattern contribute to the overall aesthetics of the aquascape, creating a stunning focal point that captures the attention of observers. With proper care and attention to water parameters, 'Big Bear' stands out as a vibrant and lively addition to freshwater environments.