Alternanthera sp. Burgundy
Common Name: Red Mint "Burgundy Leaves"
Plant Use: Background
Difficulty Level: Medium
Light Demand: Medium
Co2 Demand: Medium
Fertilizer Demand: Medium
View Our Policies
Payments Processed Through RazorPay
Frequently Asked Questions
What Our Customers Say
Description: Alternanthera sp. Burgundy, often referred to as Red Alternanthera, is a captivating aquatic plant renowned for its deep burgundy and red hues. Belonging to the amaranth family (Amaranthaceae), this species adds a touch of elegance and color contrast to freshwater aquariums. Originating from South America, it features lance-shaped leaves that showcase a rich burgundy coloration, creating a visually striking and vibrant display in aquatic landscapes.
The intense coloration of Alternanthera sp. Burgundy makes it a popular choice for aquascaping enthusiasts looking to add a bold and dramatic element to their aquarium designs. Its moderate size and bushy growth habit make it suitable for various positions within the tank.
- Scientific Name: Alternanthera sp. Burgundy
- Common Names: Red Alternanthera, Burgundy Alternanthera
- Family: Amaranthaceae
- Origin: South America
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Lighting Requirements: Medium to High
- CO2 Requirement: Beneficial for enhanced growth
- Temperature Range: 72-82°F (22-28°C)
- pH Range: 6.0-7.0
- Propagation: Cuttings, side shoots
1. Lighting: Provide medium to high lighting conditions to bring out the vibrant burgundy coloration. Quality aquarium LED lights with a balanced spectrum are recommended to support healthy growth.
2. Substrate: Use a nutrient-rich substrate to foster strong root development. Combining nutrient-rich soil with gravel or sand creates an optimal environment for Alternanthera sp. Burgundy.
3. CO2 and Nutrients: While CO2 supplementation is not mandatory, it aids in enhancing growth and coloration. Regularly dose a comprehensive liquid fertilizer containing essential nutrients like iron, potassium, and trace elements to ensure the plant's well-being.
4. Pruning: Regular pruning helps maintain the desired shape and prevents overcrowding. Trim the tops to encourage lateral growth, creating a dense and bushy appearance.
5. Placement: Alternanthera sp. Burgundy is well-suited for midground to background placement in the aquarium. Its vibrant burgundy color makes it an excellent focal point.
6. Water Parameters: Maintain stable water parameters with a temperature range of 72-82°F (22-28°C) and a slightly acidic to neutral pH between 6.0-7.0.
7. Propagation: Propagate Alternanthera sp. Burgundy through stem cuttings or by separating side shoots. Plant the cuttings into the substrate, and they will develop roots, producing new individuals.
Alternanthera sp. Burgundy not only adds a burst of color to aquariums but also contributes to the overall visual appeal of aquascapes. With its stunning burgundy foliage and moderate care requirements, it stands out as a jewel in the underwater garden.