Glossostigma Elatinoides - BUNCH - Bulk Pack of 10 Nos
Common Name: Glossostigma
Plant Use: Forground
Difficulty Level: Advanced
Light Demand: High
Co2 Demand: High
Fertilizer Demand: High
View Our Policies
Payments Processed Through RazorPay
Frequently Asked Questions
What Our Customers Say
Description: Glossostigma elatinoides, commonly known as Glosso, is a popular and versatile aquatic plant sought after for its ability to form dense and vibrant carpets in aquariums. This low-growing plant belongs to the family Phrymaceae and is native to Australia, New Zealand, and parts of Asia. Glosso is characterized by its small, bright green leaves and creeping growth habit, making it a favorite choice for aquascaping enthusiasts.
- Scientific Name: Glossostigma elatinoides
- Family: Phrymaceae
- Origin: Australia, New Zealand, Asia
- Difficulty Level: Moderate to Difficult
- Lighting Requirements: High
- CO2 Requirement: High
- Temperature Range: 68-82°F (20-28°C)
- pH Range: 5.8-7.2
- Propagation: Runners
1. Lighting: Glosso requires high lighting to thrive. Adequate light intensity is crucial for promoting its low and carpeting growth. Consider using LED lights or other high-output lighting systems.
2. Substrate: Plant Glossostigma elatinoides in a nutrient-rich substrate. A fine-grained substrate or specialized aquatic soil can provide the necessary nutrients for healthy growth. Ensure that the substrate is level and smooth for a uniform carpet effect.
3. CO2 and Nutrients: High levels of CO2 are beneficial for Glosso. A reliable CO2 injection system, along with a balanced liquid fertilizer, supports its growth and helps maintain a vibrant green color.
4. Pruning: Regular trimming is essential to keep the carpet dense and prevent the plant from growing too tall. Use sharp scissors to trim any excess growth, particularly if it starts to overshadow nearby plants.
5. Water Parameters: Maintain stable water parameters with a temperature range of 68-82°F (20-28°C), a slightly acidic to neutral pH between 5.8-7.2, and soft to moderately hard water.
6. Placement: Glosso is ideal for the foreground of aquariums, where its low and creeping growth creates a lush carpet effect. Plant it densely for a visually appealing landscape.
7. Propagation: Glossostigma elatinoides propagates through runners. As the plant establishes itself, it sends out horizontal runners that produce new shoots. These runners can be carefully trimmed and replanted to expand the carpet.
8. Challenges: Glosso can be considered moderately to difficult to grow, mainly due to its high lighting and CO2 requirements. Ensuring stable conditions and providing the necessary nutrients are crucial for success.
Glossostigma elatinoides is a stunning choice for aquarists looking to create lush and manicured carpets in their aquariums. With its vibrant green color and low, spreading growth, Glosso adds a touch of nature's beauty to freshwater tanks. While it may require more attention to detail, the reward is a captivating underwater landscape that mimics the beauty of a grassy meadow.