Plant Use: Background
Difficulty Level: Medium
Light Demand: Medium
Co2 Demand: Medium
Fertilizer Demand: Medium
View Our Policies
Payments Processed Through RazorPay
Frequently Asked Questions
What Our Customers Say
Description: Ammannia gracilis, commonly known as Delicate Ammannia or Red Ammannia, is a visually striking aquatic plant renowned for its slender stems and vibrant red hues. Belonging to the family Lythraceae, this species originates from North America and is appreciated by aquarists for its graceful appearance and brilliant coloration. The plant's delicate leaves and slender growth make it an attractive choice for aquascapes, adding a touch of elegance to freshwater aquariums.
The coloration of Ammannia gracilis can vary from green to intense red, depending on factors such as lighting, nutrient levels, and the overall health of the plant. When provided with optimal conditions, it develops into a bushy and eye-catching centerpiece, making it a sought-after addition to planted aquariums.
- Scientific Name: Ammannia gracilis
- Common Names: Delicate Ammannia, Red Ammannia
- Family: Lythraceae
- Origin: North America
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Lighting Requirements: Medium to High
- CO2 Requirement: Beneficial for enhanced growth
- Temperature Range: 72-82°F (22-28°C)
- pH Range: 6.0-7.5
- Propagation: Cuttings, lateral shoots
1. Lighting: Ammannia gracilis thrives under medium to high lighting conditions. Providing strong aquarium LED lights with a balanced spectrum enhances both growth and coloration.
2. Substrate: Utilize a nutrient-rich substrate to support healthy root development. Combining nutrient-rich soil with gravel or sand creates an optimal environment for the plant.
3. CO2 and Nutrients: While not mandatory, CO2 supplementation can significantly benefit the growth and coloration of Ammannia gracilis. Regularly dose a comprehensive liquid fertilizer containing essential nutrients like iron and potassium.
4. Pruning: Regular pruning helps maintain the desired shape and prevents the plant from becoming too dense. Trim the tops to encourage lateral growth and create a bushier appearance.
5. Placement: Ammannia gracilis is well-suited for midground to background placement in the aquarium. Its slender stems and vibrant colors make it an excellent choice for creating visual interest.
6. Water Parameters: Maintain stable water parameters, including a temperature range of 72-82°F (22-28°C) and a slightly acidic to slightly alkaline pH between 6.0-7.5.
7. Propagation: Propagate Ammannia gracilis through stem cuttings or by separating lateral shoots. Plant the cuttings into the substrate, and they will develop roots, giving rise to new plants.
With its graceful form and vibrant colors, Ammannia gracilis adds a touch of sophistication to aquascapes, making it a favored selection for those looking to create visually appealing underwater landscapes.