Echinodorus Amazonicus - SMALL
Common Name: Amazon Plant
Plant Use: Midground
Difficulty Level: Easy
Light Demand: Medium
Co2 Demand: Low
Fertilizer Demand: Low
View Our Policies
Payments Processed Through RazorPay
Frequently Asked Questions
What Our Customers Say
Description: Echinodorus Amazonicus, commonly known as the Amazon Sword Plant, is a classic and popular aquatic species cherished for its lush green foliage and elegant appearance. Belonging to the Echinodorus genus within the Alismataceae family, this plant is native to the Amazon River basin in South America. It has become a staple in freshwater aquariums, admired for its versatility, hardiness, and ability to enhance the overall aesthetics of aquascapes. The Amazon Sword Plant is characterized by its long, sword-shaped leaves, making it a favorite choice among aquarists seeking a robust and visually appealing centerpiece for their tanks.
- Scientific Name: Echinodorus Amazonicus
- Family: Alismataceae
- Origin: South America (Amazon River basin)
- Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate
- Lighting Requirements: Low to Medium
- CO2 Requirement: Low to Medium
- Temperature Range: 72-82°F (22-28°C)
- pH Range: 6.0-7.5
- Propagation: Adventitious plantlets, division
1. Lighting: Echinodorus Amazonicus is adaptable to a range of lighting conditions, from low to medium. While it can thrive in low light, providing moderate light enhances its growth and overall appearance.
2. Substrate: Plant the Amazon Sword in a nutrient-rich substrate to support its nutritional needs. A substrate containing essential nutrients or the use of root tabs contributes to its well-being.
3. CO2 and Nutrients: Echinodorus Amazonicus has low to medium CO2 requirements. While it can absorb nutrients from the water, supplementing with a balanced liquid fertilizer ensures optimal growth and leaf development.
4. Pruning: Pruning involves removing any yellowing or damaged leaves. Trimmed leaves can be cut close to the base using scissors. Regular pruning helps maintain the plant's shape and encourages new growth.
5. Water Parameters: Maintain stable water parameters with a temperature range of 72-82°F (22-28°C), a slightly acidic to slightly alkaline pH between 6.0-7.5, and moderate water hardness.
6. Placement: Echinodorus Amazonicus is well-suited for midground or background placement in aquariums. Its long, sword-like leaves create a focal point and add a sense of depth to the aquascape.
7. Propagation: Propagate Echinodorus Amazonicus through adventitious plantlets that form on the flower stalks. Additionally, division of the rhizome can be employed to create new plants.
8. Challenges: Echinodorus Amazonicus is considered an easy-to-care-for plant, making it suitable for beginners. Providing stable tank conditions, including lighting and nutrient levels, contributes to its successful growth.
The Amazon Sword Plant, Echinodorus Amazonicus, remains a timeless choice in the world of aquarium plants. Its robust nature, adaptability, and graceful appearance make it a versatile and enduring favorite among aquarists, contributing to the beauty and natural feel of freshwater tanks.