Common Name: China Amazon
Plant Use: Midground
Difficulty Level: Medium
Light Demand: Medium
Co2 Demand: Low
Fertilizer Demand: Low
View Our Policies
Payments Processed Through RazorPay
Frequently Asked Questions
What Our Customers Say
Description: Echinodorus Major, commonly known as Ruffle Sword or Radican Sword, is a majestic aquatic plant admired for its large, ruffled leaves and commanding presence in freshwater aquariums. As a member of the Echinodorus genus within the Alismataceae family, this plant is native to South America. Echinodorus Major stands out with its robust growth, broad foliage, and distinct ruffled edges, making it a popular choice for aquarists seeking a striking centerpiece for their tanks. With its adaptability and striking appearance, it adds a touch of grandeur to aquascapes.
- Scientific Name: Echinodorus Major
- Family: Alismataceae
- Origin: South America
- Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate
- Lighting Requirements: Low to Medium
- CO2 Requirement: Low
- Temperature Range: 72-82°F (22-28°C)
- pH Range: 6.0-7.5
- Propagation: Adventitious plantlets, division
1. Lighting: Echinodorus Major thrives in low to medium lighting conditions. While it can tolerate lower light levels, providing moderate light enhances its growth and overall appearance.
2. Substrate: Plant the Ruffle Sword in a nutrient-rich substrate to support its nutritional needs. A substrate containing essential nutrients or the use of root tabs contributes to its overall well-being.
3. CO2 and Nutrients: Echinodorus Major has low CO2 requirements. While it can absorb nutrients from the water, supplementing with a balanced liquid fertilizer enhances growth and supports the development of robust leaves.
4. Pruning: Pruning involves removing any yellowing or damaged leaves. Trimmed leaves can be cut close to the base using scissors. Regular pruning helps maintain the plant's shape and encourages new growth.
5. Water Parameters: Maintain stable water parameters with a temperature range of 72-82°F (22-28°C), a slightly acidic to slightly alkaline pH between 6.0-7.5, and moderate water hardness.
6. Placement: Echinodorus Major is suitable for midground or background placement in aquariums. Its tall stature and broad, ruffled leaves create a focal point and add a sense of drama to aquascapes.
7. Propagation: Propagate Echinodorus Major through adventitious plantlets that develop on the flower stalks. Additionally, division of the rhizome can be employed to create new plants.
8. Challenges: Echinodorus Major is considered an easy-to-care-for plant, making it suitable for beginners. Providing stable tank conditions, including lighting and nutrient levels, contributes to its successful growth.
Echinodorus Major, the Ruffle Sword, brings a regal and majestic quality to aquariums with its large, ruffled leaves. Whether featured as a centerpiece or incorporated into a lush aquascape, this plant commands attention and elevates the visual appeal of freshwater tanks with its imposing beauty.